7 Tips for Saying Goodbye to Sentimental Belonging
You sell your house and it’s time to move. Letting go of items that tug on the heart strings can be challenging when it comes to packing. Follow these simple steps to help get rid of the clutter and make your move go smooth.
1. Remember that our memories reside within us, not within our possessions. Taking pictures of the items you find hard to say goodbye to is a great way to keep those memories without keeping the clutter. It lets you share them with others and is a great way to tell your story.
2. Focus on the present. Making a moving checklist of “must go” items to eliminate packing things that you don’t necessarily need will help in keeping the packing on track. Consider a pile for donations and a pile for throw away items. Organizing your personal items and throwing away the things you don't need will make the move easier and less stressful when unpacking in your new home.
3. Let go of guilt. Asking yourself questions like “Do I really need 25 teddy bears from my childhood? If I kept my favorite 20 records instead of all of them, would I be ok? is a good way to begin the mental process of letting go of things.
4. Don’t save it for your grown children. Remember the saying, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure? What you consider treasure might not be a treasure to others, including your kids. Thinking ahead and getting rid of those sentimental objects can help take the load off of family members.
5. Compromise with your spouse. It may be difficult to get rid of things at first, and that is ok. Agreeing on items that you both consider a necessity at the beginning of the process will make the transition easier.
6. Start with the easy stuff. Getting rid of the small things at first will help begin the process of decluttering. Taking it a step at a time will make it easier to throw away what you don’t need. Little by little, the progress made will be rewarding and keep you going to the finish line.
7. Write a family memoir, create a scrapbook, create a family website or blog. These are great ways to share your stories. Having personal stories with photos also allows you to be able to pass down the things you treasure most.
#KingTeam #ERAKing #joineraking #12MOG #TextMOVE